These two cards are different in their printing and quality, but both show the same scene of the Whale’s Jaw in Dogtown and both came from the same printer, Edwin C. McIntire of Gloucester. The top card is postmarked Sept. 10, 1920, and the bottom July 18, 1908.
Whale’s Jaw got its name for its resemblance to the open-mouthed head of a breaching whale. Unfortunately, in 1989, a campfire left burning under the rock heated it so much that the left portion cracked and broke off.
Also different for visitors today is that the area around Whale’s Jaw is now overgrown with trees and brush (although still reachable thanks to well-maintained trails).