This 1905 picture shows the life saving station that remains at Gap Cove to this day. According to a U.S. Coast Guard history, the station was built in 1889 to replace a station built at Davis Neck in 1874. It was originally called Gap Head Station and then, in 1902, became known as Straitsmouth Station.
The station remained active until July 1964. It is now a private home.