Author Archives: Robert Ambrogi

Old Mill Pond, Rockport, Mass., c. 1912

This image of Mill Pond looks from the pond’s east side across to the west side and to houses on King Street. The dam is to the right. All of the houses you see here are still standing. The house … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 3 Comments

Gott House, Pigeon Cove, Mass., c. 1905

Samuel Gott, a weaver, was the first resident of the area of Pigeon Cove known today as Halibut Point. The postcard identifies his house as having been built in 1701, but most sources put it at a year later, 1702. … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 3 Comments

Then and Now: The Columbia and The Adventure

In 1926, The Columbia and The Adventure competed in the Gloucester schooner race. Today, they competed again. It was an historic match-up in that both boats were more or less resurrected this year. The Columbia was originally built in 1923 … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Best Wishes from Rockport Postmaster ‘Uncle Bill’, 1909

Here is a highly unusual postcard that was both printed for and sent by William E. Parsons, long known around Rockport as “Uncle Bill” or “Uncle Billy.” Parsons was postmaster of Rockport between 1898 and 1914 and also gained acclaim … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Road to Bearskin Neck, Rockport, Mass., c. 1934

In this view looking down Bearskin Neck, we can see three reminders of Rockport’s bygone days. The first can be found on the building that is slightly to the left of the picture’s center. Today, this building houses The Pewter … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Two Views Of Artists On The Headlands, c. 1930 and 1945

As evidence that some things never change, here are two postcards, roughly 15 years apart, showing artists painting Rockport’s picturesque harbor from above it on The Headlands. One is just as likely to encounter the same scene today (in warmer … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Thatchers Twin Lights, From Turks Head Inn, c. 1910

This undated postcard shows a view of the Twin Lights of Thacher Island as seen from the Turk’s Head Inn, which formerly stood at the location of the present-day Cape Hedge Inn. The inn was originally constructed in 1888 or … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment