The 1930 historical marker for the Benjamin Tarr House at 23 South St. has been torn down.
Here is how it looked before.
These markers were erected in 1930 by the Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission to mark “the ancient ways of the Puritan times and the structures or places relating to or associated with the early settlements within the commonwealth.” Nearly 300 of these cast-iron markers were installed around the state. Rockport had seven of them:
- “Old First Parish Burying Ground” on Back Street.
- “First Settler” on Main Street.
- “John Pool” on King Street.
- “Old Stone Fort” on Bearskin Neck.
- “Bear Skin Neck” at Dock Square.
- “Samuel de Champlain” on South Street.
- “Benjamin Tarr House” on South Street.
If someone took this down as a prank, let’s hope the person returns it.