Monthly Archives: March 2011

The Twin Lights, Thatchers Island, Rockport, Mass., c. 1910

Here is a view of the Twin Lights on Thacher Island, taken from the Rockport shoreline. The postcard is postmarked 1911, so the picture is likely to be at least a year older, if not even more. The postcard was … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Moonlight on Sandy Bay, Pigeon Cove, Mass., circa 1910

In honor of this week’s “supermoon,” here is a postcard of the moon over Sandy Bay from around 1910. The image is quite dramatic, with the fishing schooner in the foreground set off by the U.S. Navy warships in the … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Steel Derrick Quarry, as an Active Quarry Circa 1910

Today, Steel Derrick Quarry is a popular swimming spot for locals. At the time this picture was taken, it was an active granite quarry, one of two owned by the Pigeon Hill Granite Co. Founded in 1870, Pigeon Hill was … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Main Street, East from Post Office, Rockport, Mass., c. 1915

Compare this view of Main Street — which I estimate to be 1915 — with this one from 1911 and this one from 1920, all from more or less the same angle. Also compare it with this one from 1906 … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged | Leave a comment

The Rocky Shores in 1910, When it Was a Private Estate

If this grand estate looks familiar to you, it is because it still stands on Eden Road, where it is now known as the Rocky Shores Manor. At the time of this photo, which was around 1910, the estate was … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Pigeon Hill: A View ‘Excelled Nowhere’ on the New England Coast, circa 1915

Unfortunately, the view that an author once described as “excelled nowhere on the New England coast” can no longer be seen. The summit of Pigeon Hill, the highest point in Rockport, is overgrown with vegetation that obstructs what was once … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

George J. Tarr School, Rockport, Mass., circa 1910

In 1882, fire swept through the Annisquam Cotton Mill, which had operated since 1847 on a site bordered by Main Street and Broadway in Rockport. Remarkably, although the fire destroyed the mill, the ruins remained standing there for another 22 … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged | 4 Comments